A Community Devoted to the Preservation and Practice of Celestial Navigation and Other Methods of Traditional Wayfinding
From: Bob Goethe
Date: 2016 Nov 10, 13:00 -0800
I am attaching a revised user manual and drawings for the Mark 2 Navigator's Slide Rule.
Changes to the Manual:
- A number of errors have been eliminated, including a serious error on what is now page 51.
- Sections 4 and 26 on Speed, Time and Distance have been significantly revised.
- Sections 5 and 31 have been added, on using a Dutch log.
- Sections 6 and 28 have been added, on solving a current triangle.
- Sections 18 and 43 have been added, on solving a rhumb line course.
- One additional bibliographic citation (Martenhoff).
Changes to the rule itself:
- It retains the recently added Ln scale, for use in rhumb line calculations.
- A gauge point has been added at 314... (π) for use in rhumb line calculations.
- A gauge point has been added at 592... for use with a Dutch log.
I have been grateful for the feedback I have received, and will continue to be grateful for further suggestions and help. My goal is to have the design finalized prior to the end of this year, and then proceed to fabrication.