A Community Devoted to the Preservation and Practice of Celestial Navigation and Other Methods of Traditional Position-Finding
From: Frank Reed
Date: 2018 Sep 10, 17:49 -0700
Meg Wilson, a student in Australia, is working on a thesis project regarding Polynesian celestial navigation and its connection to modern celestial navigation. I agreed to post her message and questions:
I am contacting you because I am currently completing stage 2 research project. My research question is: "How has our knowledge of the Polynesian Celestial Navigation system helped to develop modern Star based navigation"
Please try to answer these in as much detail as you can:
1. How popular is celestial navigation?
2. How trustworthy is Celestial navigation as a main type of navigating?
3. What type of technology is used in Celestial Navigation?
4. What type of people are involved with Celestial Navigation?
5. Currently, how much do we as a population know about Celestial navigation?
6. How accurate is this knowledge?
7. What sort of techniques are used in celestial navigation?
8. Do you know of any techniques that were developed from the Polynesians?
9. How much to you know about Polynesian celestial navigation?
I promised Ms. Wilson that these questions would undoubtedly lead to interesting replies and discussions among NavList members. Don't worry about her exact meaning or intent on a specific question. Use the questions as a jumping-off point, an opportunity to explore the topic. And of course there's no need to answer all of them immediately. Enjoy!
For now, please post public NavList replies only (reply-by-email on this message would only reach me).