Welcome to the NavList Message Boards.


A Community Devoted to the Preservation and Practice of Celestial Navigation and Other Methods of Traditional Wayfinding

Compose Your Message

Add Images & Files
    Re: Mathematics Question
    From: Herbert Prinz
    Date: 2006 Mar 30, 11:49 -0500

    Robert Eno wrote:
    >I was refering to the curved surface of the sphere. For a circle, it is 
    called an "arc" but I have yet to find a proper name for a portion of the 
    surface of a sphere. I have heard different terms such as "lune", "lens" 
    "cap" etc. but I am certain that there has to be a proper mathematical term 
    for this. Or is there?
    All these terms refer to solid bodies. Lune usually refers to a
    2-dimensional shape that results from intersecting two circles. I guess,
    by analogy, one could speak of a 3-dimensional (i.e. solid) lune.
    The beauty of math is that you can use words that aren't in the Oxford
    English Dictionary. If you need a word badly, coin it. If it turns out
    to be important you will get famous for it. Even better: Don't coin a
    word. Use a long winded descriptive term each time you need it. Somebody
    will get frustrated after a while and call it "Enoid".

    Browse Files

    Drop Files


    What is NavList?

    Join NavList

    (please, no nicknames or handles)
    Do you want to receive all group messages by email?
    Yes No

    You can also join by posting. Your first on-topic post automatically makes you a member.

    Posting Code

    Enter the email address associated with your NavList messages. Your posting code will be emailed to you immediately.

    Email Settings

    Posting Code:

    Custom Index

    Start date: (yyyymm dd)
    End date: (yyyymm dd)

    Visit this site
    Visit this site
    Visit this site
    Visit this site
    Visit this site
    Visit this site