Welcome to the NavList Message Boards.


A Community Devoted to the Preservation and Practice of Celestial Navigation and Other Methods of Traditional Wayfinding

Compose Your Message

Add Images & Files
    Re: Mathematical Question
    From: Robert J. Park
    Date: 2002 Sep 19, 18:29 -0700
    If you are comparing an Arc on a Circle to something on a Sphere, you can also have an Arc on a Sphere, but you are probably thinking in terms of a Spherical Triangle.  As Brian listed, there are several names that could apply, but Spherical Triangle is the most common.  When it is placed in 2 dimensions, some of my students refer to it as a "Bulging Triangle" because of the curved sides.  That is because all three side are actually Arcs on the surface of the Sphere.
    Bob Park
    PhD - Mathematics
    Some or us - the Dreamers - were born to dance upon the wind.
    ----- Original Message -----
    From: Robert Eno
    Sent: Thursday, September 19, 2002 5:30 PM
    Subject: Mathematical Question

    Greetings list,
    Given the rather esoteric nature of some of the recent discussions, I am hopeful that one of you will have the answer to a long-standing question of mine.
    What is the term used to describe a small 2 dimensional section of a sphere? Or to put it another way, if a small section of a circle is called an "arc", what is the equivalent in a sphere?
    Browse Files

    Drop Files


    What is NavList?

    Join NavList

    (please, no nicknames or handles)
    Do you want to receive all group messages by email?
    Yes No

    You can also join by posting. Your first on-topic post automatically makes you a member.

    Posting Code

    Enter the email address associated with your NavList messages. Your posting code will be emailed to you immediately.

    Email Settings

    Posting Code:

    Custom Index

    Start date: (yyyymm dd)
    End date: (yyyymm dd)

    Visit this site
    Visit this site
    Visit this site
    Visit this site
    Visit this site
    Visit this site