A Community Devoted to the Preservation and Practice of Celestial Navigation and Other Methods of Traditional Wayfinding
From: Ed Popko
Date: 2018 May 12, 14:01 -0700
Many interruptions on my end but some progress in analyzing part 3 addition of this South Pacific case.
In the Sun Moon Dist App Dist area, I interpreted:
- pre-cleared Lunar ends up 117°49'16" after both semi-diameters. Can't account for the 1' subtraction, certainly not augmentation which would have been additive.
App Dist Column
- LDpc carried over to Dist column, four corrections later. 2nd corr is large, likely effect of HP on LD's arc.
- 3rd corr is small, likely sun's impact on LD's arc.
- Cleared lunar is 117°11'28" checked against several methods which find 117°11'48" so corrections were about right.
- 116°28'02 is LD at 0Hr, though not stated, using PLog values written, 118°08'27" is LD at 3hr
- 63'26" is LD difference between LDpc and 0hr LD
- 2535 is PLog of LD 3hr
- 6174 is PLog of LD 0hr
- 3639 is PLog 0hr-3hr No idea why it was over written to read 3439. The original value, 3639, seems correct.
- LDc is 1.2976 (decimal) hours added to 0hr is 1:17:50 but table lookups might give 1:17:53 as shown here
- LDc GMT is 1:17:53 corrected for Civil Time 12:17:53
Much more to be extracted from this case. Quite interesting and Frank, thanks for posting this.