A Community Devoted to the Preservation and Practice of Celestial Navigation and Other Methods of Traditional Wayfinding
From: Art Leung
Date: 2021 Nov 18, 06:29 -0800
Gary, thanks for the clarification. I was thinking that was how it would work - I think I just need to get a power supply that can drive enough current to the electronics so that it does not shut down once the 2 minute period is complete.
Just to clarify, what my sextant is doing is:
- apply power to averager, LED digits light up with 00 showing
- hit the start button and the digits start counting up (increment by 1 every 2 seconds)
- I run the index up or down 30' when the LEDs show "30"
- when the LEDs show 60, I see an LED flash at the top or bottom of the display, but then the display shuts off
- attempting to hit the RESET button has no effect on the display, but disconnecting the power and then reconnecting it does bring it back to 00
The DC-DC converter I have claims it can supply up to 1A sustained.
The USB battery I have does not state a current drive capability - I have ordered one that claims to drive 22.5W out of a 5V USB port which should be north of 4A. Hopefully this solves the problem.
The other possibility is that there is a short in the electronics that only gets switched on after the averaging is complete. I am hoping that this is not what is causing the problem.
If anyone has any other diagnostics to run that might help, I'd love to hear them.