A Community Devoted to the Preservation and Practice of Celestial Navigation and Other Methods of Traditional Wayfinding
From: Greg Rudzinski
Date: 2017 Jan 22, 05:32 -0800
A few things for your CN check list (x2):
1. Small hand held GPS with extra batteries. Only turn on long enough to acquire satillites, display Lat. Lon., speed over ground, course made good, and UT then turn off to save batteries.
2. Digital wrist watch.
3. Digital and or mechanical stopwatch with large time display.
4. Pilot charts for trip. The second mate should have some extras to give you as well as extra general charts.
5. Pocket trig calculator.
6. Tamaya NC 2, NC 77, and or smart phone with CN apps.
7. Photo copy exactly what you need to save weight (NA, Pubs, etc.).
8. A compact travel shortwave.
9. 0.5mm/0.7mm mechanical pencil with extra leads and pocket note books.
10. White Mars eraser !
11. LED flash light.
12. Compact plotting tools.
13. DSLR Camera *
14. Small hand bearing compass. Caution - there will be large deviations.
15. Reading glasses / sun glasses.
16. 7x50mm binoculars if there is any room left.
17. Tape measure (height of eye measurement or just in case you have to make a kamal/cross staff ).
* So you can share your CN adventure with us ;-)
Be sure to check all your equipment with customs before departure to avoid duty fees.