A Community Devoted to the Preservation and Practice of Celestial Navigation and Other Methods of Traditional Wayfinding
From: Bill Morris
Date: 2021 Nov 3, 15:32 -0700
0. Work on a bench or table somewhere where you stand a chance of finding a spring if it should slip from your grasp. Wear an apron clipped to the underwide of the table to catch dropped screws and springs.
1. Make sure your screw driver fits the slot in the screw in width and length.
2. Remove the mirror and its bracket from the sextant and back off the mirror adjusting screws.
3. Insert the screw through the loops of the spring.
4. Trap the coils of the spring with your thumb nail and apply the spring to the bracket.
5. Press down at 45 degrees to the face of the mirror, thus opening up the spring as the screw loops slide over the bracket and the other end of the spring slides over the face of the mirror.
6. With the screw driver in the slot of the screw, bring the screw upright and screw it gently home. Be careful. Only a few threads of the screw engage in the bracket and the thread in the bracket is easily stripped.
7. Return the assembly to the sextant and adjust the mirror.