A Community Devoted to the Preservation and Practice of Celestial Navigation and Other Methods of Traditional Wayfinding
From: Henry Halboth
Date: 2016 Dec 29, 23:09 -0500
Greg,I wuld tend to agree with your list of equipment, with possibly the following additions or alterntives ,,,,,,,,On Thu, Dec 29, 2016 at 2:03 PM, Greg Rudzinski <NoReply_Rudzinski@fer3.com> wrote:
For cutter or ketch rig over 40 ft. :
1. 1960"s model of C.PLath and aMK 3 Davis plastic as bac-up.
2. Two Hamilton chronometers or Russian equivalent (expensive hard to find budget busters). The quartz watch will be missed. I would lobby let the fleet go modern here.
3. Stopwatches, manual wind wrist watch, and railroad pocket watch.
4. SW radios were used in the original race so I would carry portable versions (one with RDF).
5. 1975 Bowditch vol. 2 ( at least three different ways to perform sight reduction in one volume )
6. Pub 249 set
7. Nautical Almanacs.
8. GC, General, Coastal, and Pilot charts. There will be no stops so tide tables and harbor charts can be omitted.
9. 7x50 mm binoculars and hand bearing compass.
10. Travel alarm clocks.
11. Plastic slide rule and plotting tools.
CN will be mostly by Pub 249.
From: Doug MacPherson
Date: 2016 Dec 29, 08:29 -0800