A Community Devoted to the Preservation and Practice of Celestial Navigation and Other Methods of Traditional Wayfinding
From: David Pike
Date: 2021 May 7, 03:37 -0700
Work on the celestial globe is progressing. I sanded the globes as near a perfect sphere as I could. So far, I’ve painted them with one coat of matt white. So that I could hold them for painting, I turned them into lollipops. I stuck them on a bottle top using ‘Blu Tack’, so they’d separate easily. I painted the covered bit later by sitting them on a jar top. I’ll only use a second coat if I need to increase the diameter a touch or I mess up drawing the grid first time.
The circle cutter arrived yesterday one day early. After a liberal does of 80% bio ethanol so I could use it straight away, I started experimenting on spare card. I found 100mm diameter as marked on the cutter was a fraction too small for the globe to go through, so more experiments today. I think it will be better to use a smaller piece of card, and keep the cutter still moving the card in a circular motion under it. Then it'll be glue guns at dawn. More later. DaveP