A Community Devoted to the Preservation and Practice of Celestial Navigation and Other Methods of Traditional Wayfinding
From: Andrés Ruiz
Date: 2015 May 19, 19:55 +0200
two new applications for android:
App oriented to learn and improve one's skills with a sextant (marine, bubble, theodolite, artificial horizon).
The first version was developed for Windows late in 2000, no so much user friendly, for my personal use with my marine sextants. Now that I have my first aircraft sextant since few months ago, an A-12, thanks Gary LaPook and Bill Morris for your advice, I had the need to improve my shots with it, (bubble, no sea horizon, direct star sight, ...). So I use the old code for this new app, that I hope it could be useful. Only for sextant enthusiasts!
GC route and waypoints, more for fun or educational use than for practical use...
Lunars added to the Nautical Almanac app.All are free except Nautical Almanac.For your information Google Play gets the 30% of the sales. The money I get is donated to the Vicente Ferrer Foundation.Available on the app store:
- Equatorial geocentric coordinates: RA/GHA, Declination for Sun, Moon, and navigational stars and planets . SHA.
- SD, HP
- Visible sky: identification of stars and planets - it plots the visible sky from a position. Polar & horizon chart
- Planning observation: phenomena - Twilight, - Rise/set for Sun and Moon, - Meridian passage
- Solar time: GAT, LAT, LMT, Equation of time
- Sidereal time (Aries): GHA, GAST, LAST, LHA
- Lunar distances
- Under development: SSD, ...
- Latitude by Polaris
- Noon sight
- Sun ex-merian sight
- Time sight for the Sun
- Latitude by the Sun´s Altitude and Time
- Observed altitude Ho by nautical almanac data
- Local hour angle (LHA)
- Marcq Saint Hilaire Line of Position, intercept method (p=Ho-Hc, Zn)
- Plot of the LoP
- Variation for the current day. (Local magnetic variation or magnetic declination)
- WMM2015 - World Magnetic Model 2015
- It calculates the two solutions, and plots the circles of position, or circles of equal altitude on a google map.
- Running fix
- Method explained in the papers:
- Vector Solution for the intersection of two Circles of Equal Altitude.
- Use of rotation matrices to plot a circle of equal altitude.