Welcome to the NavList Message Boards.

NavList:

A Community Devoted to the Preservation and Practice of Celestial Navigation and Other Methods of Traditional Wayfinding

Compose Your Message

Message:αβγ
Message:abc
Add Images & Files
    or...
       
    Reply
    Re: Is Celestial Navigation really a backup to GPS Navigation?
    From: Frank Reed
    Date: 2018 Sep 18, 17:49 -0700

    Gary L, you wrote:
    "But what about WAAS as used by aircraft making precision instrument approaches down to 200 feet above the ground, in the clouds, to a runway only 200 feet wide? SA reduced the accuracy to 100 meters, 95% of the time with larger errors the remaining 5% of the time. And spot jamming or spoofing with low power equipment placed need the airport by hostile power or terrorists?"

    They could fly an airplane right into the ground. Set the clock back a bit, and it's the setup for Die Hard 2. To which I say, "Yippee Ki Yay, Mister Falcon!!" Mister Who?

    But isn't it true that airport WAAS employs differential GPS? You place a GPS receiver at a fixed location with a well-surveyed latitude and longitude at the airport. Then you broadcast the live difference between the instantaneous GPS fix at that known location and its actual location to nearby aircraft. They adjust their GPS fixes by that offset vector, and you instantly get an order of magnitude improvement in fix accuracy. Differential GPS like this also over-rules SA and spoofing and even ionospheric noise. They're completely cancelled out. The only exception that I can think of is when the spoofer is using short-range equipment located aboard the aircraft and is possibly a passenger on the aircraft. That's an important loophole. 

    Frank Reed

       
    Reply
    Browse Files

    Drop Files

    NavList

    What is NavList?

    Join NavList

    Name:
    (please, no nicknames or handles)
    Email:
    Do you want to receive all group messages by email?
    Yes No

    You can also join by posting. Your first on-topic post automatically makes you a member.

    Posting Code

    Enter the email address associated with your NavList messages. Your posting code will be emailed to you immediately.
    Email:

    Email Settings

    Posting Code:

    Custom Index

    Subject:
    Author:
    Start date: (yyyymm dd)
    End date: (yyyymm dd)

    Visit this site
    Visit this site
    Visit this site
    Visit this site
    Visit this site
    Visit this site