A Community Devoted to the Preservation and Practice of Celestial Navigation and Other Methods of Traditional Wayfinding
From: Alexandre Eremenko
Date: 2017 Mar 6, 17:43 +0000
I re-checked today my "observatory" position with Google Earth: it shows Lat=40.453641, Long=-86.931783
In minutes: 40°27.2 N, 86°55.9 W.
Notice that in my report on the observation I had the last digit (tenths of minutes) in longitude in error by 0'1. This is somewhat surprising: the number 86°55'8 I took from Google Earth in 2007. I recorded it in a safe place, and never re-checked until today. :-)
Re-computation of the occultation with Frank's calculator gives the same result with corrected longitude. This means that some of my past lunar errors reported here may be 0'1 off. In 2007 Google Earth did not show such details as now. For example, now I can see the table on my balcony on which my clock rests during the observations:-)