A Community Devoted to the Preservation and Practice of Celestial Navigation and Other Methods of Traditional Wayfinding
From: Chris Caswell
Date: 2017 Sep 10, 07:14 -0700
I have managed to get my bubble unit functioning, but the seal for the top lens was falling apart and leaking, so I removed it. In it's place, I used a thick shellac (made from flakes and denatured alcohol) to seal the glass, and today will see if it holds. I also was able to clean both top and bottom lenses.
Bendix used radioactive paint on the bubble lens (Ra226, I believe) and it is still quite hot, and removing it is not advisable, so I would store the A8-A say, in the basement up high and away from areas used by people.
As far as your bubble unit is concerned, I would wash out the fluid area and see if the diaphragm is still working - on mine, the limit screw on the drive wheel was not allowing the cap to contact the diaphragm, so once I adjusted that, I could produce and remove a bubble.
You can contact me by email at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Chris in VT